Everything An Educator Needs to Know about Digital Media
Popular full-day hands-on workshop
Come learn how your students can use free or very low cost software tools and servers to broadcast digital audio and video on the web. The iLife tool suite will be used as the basis for our creative process. The promise of low-cost DVD, CD and podcast publishing will also be explored. Simple ideas for classroom projects and technical hints will be shared so you can broadcast online right away! (Cross platform options will be discussed)
Increasingly powerful and inexpensive multimedia streaming technologies allow students to create radio and TV broadcasts available to parents and anyone else on the World Wide Web. Writing for radio and TV is a rich opportunity for improving literacy skills and cuts across all disciplines. Come learn how your students can use free or very low cost software tools and servers to broadcast streaming audio and video on the web. Podcasting, MP3 audio, QuickTime, iMovie, Garageband and iDVD will be explored. Simple ideas for classroom projects and technical hints will be shared so you can broadcast online right away! Participants will create a variety of projects through hands-on activities and demonstrations by the presenter.
While this workshop will use Macintosh computers, most of the skills and concepts are transferrable to the PC.
- Educational rationale for learner-created media
- Examples of child-created digital media
- The lessons of WWWadio (educational implications)
- Digital media and storytelling
- Digital media as a tool for reflective practice and professional development
- Powerful ideas with free and low-cost software and services
- What is QuickTime and what does it do?
- Simple audio/video editing and file version in QuickTime Pro – why you should upgrade
- Understanding file compression
- The best digital formats
- Sources of digital media for classroom projects
- Digital photography
- Royalty-free web sites and CDs
- Audio and music composition tools
- Garageband & Soundtrack
- SonicFire Pro
- RealPlayer, RealProducer and RealMedia
- http “pseudo” serving vs. streaming servers
- What is a metafile and how do I make one?
- Adding QuickTime and RealMedia to a web page
- Video editing with iMovie
- Discussion of reasonable PC video editing options
- Making movies
- Publishing the movie in multiple formats for different media and audiences
- Analog and digital digitizing hardware